Standard Visitor Visa Lawyers

For those from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) who wish to travel to the UK for a short period as a visitor, for example as a tourist, to carry out business activities or to visit friends or family, a visa application will need to be made to enable them to enter the country.

Wilford Smith's team of Immigration Solicitors can provide essential guidance and support when it comes to making an application for a visa to travel to the UK. Our Immigration Lawyers can provide you with clear, simple, step-by-step advice to make sure you satisfy all UK Visa Immigration (UKVI) requirements so that your application is completed as quickly and straightforwardly as possible. Contact us today to find out how we can help.
What type of visa is required to travel to the UK as a visitor?

Those travelling to the UK as a visitor will need to apply for a Standard Visitor Visa. Following changes to the law, the Standard Visitor Visa replaced a range of other visas that were previously required to enter the UK. As of April 2015, the Standard Visitor Visa has replaced the following visas:

General Visitor Visa
Family Visitor Visa
Child Visitor Visa
Business Visitor Visa – this visa previously covered travelling academics, doctors and dentists
Sports Visitor Visa
Entertainer Visitor Visa
Prospective Entrepreneur Visa
Private Medical Treatment Visitor Visa
Approved Destination Status (ADS) Visa

How long does a Standard Visitor Visa allow an individual to stay in the UK for?

A Standard Visitor Visa will usually be issued for six months, however in some cases it may be possible to extend this. An extension may be granted in the following circumstances:

If you can show that you need to visit the UK regularly for a period longer than six months
If you are carrying out academic research in the UK – you may then be granted a visa for up to 12 months
If you are coming to the UK to receive private medical treatment – you may then be granted a visa for up to 11 months
On compassionate grounds – for example, due to the illness of a close relative

In other circumstances, you may only be permitted to stay in the UK for a shorter period:

If you are visiting the UK under the Approved Destination Status Agreement (ADS Agreement) – your visitor visa may be granted for up to 30 days
If you are making a Permitted Paid Engagement (PPE) visit – those travelling on a PPE visa can remain in the country for up to 30 days

It is important to note that it is very rare to be able to change your visitor visa to another type of visa once you are in the UK. Therefore, it is vital that you apply for the most appropriate visa in the first place. If you are unsure which visa is right for your circumstances, please contact us for advice.
What are the eligibility requirements for a Standard Visitor Visa?

You will be able to apply for a Standard Visitor Visa if you are travelling to the UK for one of the following purposes:

For leisure – for example, to visit friends or family or on holiday
For business – this includes taking part in a sporting or creative event
For another reason – for example, to receive medical treatment

As well as being able to show that you are visiting the UK for an approved purpose, you will also be required to prove that:

You will leave the UK after your visit
You can financially support yourself and any dependent family members during your time in the UK
You can pay for your return journey or your onward journey to another country and any associated costs

If you are travelling to the UK for business purposes, you will need to have proof of these and be sure that these are permitted under the Home Office's Visitor Rules.
What documents do I need to provide to enter the UK on a Standard Visitor Visa?

If entering on a Standard Visitor Visa, you will need to provide a current passport or other valid travel ID. You may need to provide additional documents if you are travelling to the UK for one of the following purposes:

To receive private medical treatment
To apply as an organ donor
As an academic for a period longer than 12 months
As a prospective entrepreneur
If you are in transit to another country outside the UK

For any supporting documents that are not in English or Welsh, a certified translation must be provided.
Contact our Immigration Lawyers in Sheffield

Wilford Smith's experienced Immigration Solicitors are based in Sheffield and advise clients throughout England and Wales. Find out more information on our fees here. Contact one of our Immigration Lawyers today on 0808 168 5813.


Upload a File

File(s) size limit is 20MB.


Sign up for our monthly newsletters for the latest news & articles
At Wilford Smith we are invested in your success. Our team will get to know you, your family, your business, and your market sector. To us, you and needs are unique. You can be confident that by instructing us, we will take care of all your legal matters throughout your lifetime, providing creative solutions and protecting your best interests.



  • Meadowhall Business Park
  • S9 2EQ
  • Tel: 0808 164 4106
  • Fax: 0844 225 0572


  • Smithy House 22 Westgate,
  • Rotherham S60 1AP
  • Tel: 0808 164 4106
  • Fax: 0844 225 0572


  • 20 Old Bailey
  • LondonEC4M 7AN
  • By appointment only
Copyright ©2024 Wilford Smith, All rights reserved.
2024 Wilford Smith is the trading name of WS Strategic Ltd. a limited company registered in England and Wales, registration number 07777022. Registered office – Meadowhall Business Park, Sheffield S9 2EQ. We are authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. SRA Registration Number 640898.