COVID-19 - We are open for business and here to help

The Tier 2 Sportsperson Visa enables elite sportspersons and coaches from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) to come to the UK to aid the development of their chosen sport.

The expert Immigration Solicitors at Wilford Smith understand the unique position of elite sports professionals well. With a comprehensive knowledge of the UK’s immigration rules and procedures, our Immigration Lawyers are the best choice for assisting those seeking to travel to Britain to train or coach. Offering a client-focused service, we will work closely with you to ensure that your visa application is processed as quickly and straightforwardly as possible. Contact us today to find out how we can help.

What is the eligibility criteria for the Tier 2 Sportsperson Visa?

Individuals hoping to apply for the Tier 2 Sportsperson Visa must be able to demonstrate that they can satisfy a number of qualification requirements before their application will granted. These requirements include:

  • That you are an elite sportsperson or qualified coach who has been recognised by your sport’s governing body as being a performer or coach at the highest level internationally
  • That you are endorsed by your sport’s governing body
  • That your employment in the UK will develop your sport in this country at the highest level
  • That you have a valid certificate of sponsorship for your job in the UK

There are also further eligibility criteria that you may have to satisfy depending on your circumstances and where you are travelling from. You may be asked to demonstrate your knowledge of the English language, to show that you can support yourself financially while you are in the UK, to show you are permitted to travel and provide your travel history over the past five years, and to provide tuberculosis test results.

Who can sponsor an application for a Tier 2 Sportsperson Visa?

If you are applying for a Tier 2 Sportsperson Visa, you must receive sponsorship from the organisation that is going to employ you in the UK. This organisation must be registered with the UK Border Agency and have a sponsorship licence – without this licence, it will not be able to provide you with a certificate of sponsorship.

What does it mean to be ‘endorsed by your sport’s governing body’?

To be endorsed by your sport’s governing body means that the relevant governing body has provided confirmation that the applicant is established in their sport at the highest level and that, by moving to the UK, the applicant will make a significant contribution to the development of the sport in this country.

Contact our Immigration Lawyers in Sheffield

Wilford Smith’s experienced Immigration Solicitors are based in Sheffield and advise clients throughout England and Wales. Find out more information on our fees here. For those seeking to apply for a Tier 2 Sportsperson Visa, we provide a comprehensive service in relation to all aspects of your application. Contact one of our immigration experts today on 0808 164 1349 to find out how we can help.