COVID-19 - We are open for business and here to help

With some of the oldest and most globally renowned universities, the UK is a destination that many international students choose to pursue a course of study in their chosen field. Students from countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA) hoping to attend a British university will be required to hold a visa in order to allow them to take up their place.

Assisting clients throughout England and Wales, Wilford Smith’s Immigration Lawyers have a well-earned reputation for providing exceptional legal advice in a manner that is clear, concise and easy to understand. Contact us today to find out how we can help.
What visas are required to allow students to study in the UK?

Students who are over the age of 16 and are travelling to the UK to attend a course at a university will need to apply for a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa. For younger students who are aged between 4 and 17 years of age and wish to attend an institution in the UK, for example at a boarding school, an application should be made for a Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa. Students who are aged 16 or 17 can apply for either of these visas if the course they are studying is at or above level 3 of the National Qualifications Framework.

There also exists another type of visa, the Parent of a Tier 4 Child Student Visa, for parents of non-EEA students who are studying at an independent fee-paying school. This visa allows them to accompany their child during their time studying in the UK.
What are the eligibility requirements for a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa?

To apply for a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa you must satisfy the following criteria:

You have been offered a place on a course – this must be an unconditional offer on a course with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor and you must have a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
You must have a good knowledge of the English language – you may need to provide evidence of this
You must be able to pay for your course and to support yourself financially

The Home Office publishes a list of institutions that are licensed to sponsor international students under the Tier 4 Student Visa scheme.

The immigration lawyers at Wilford Smith can help you prepare the evidence to support your eligibility for the Tier 4 Visa. In particular, we can help you manage your CAS and ensure it is delivered promptly by the University or other institution you have applied to study at.
What are the eligibility requirements for a Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa?

To apply for a Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa you must:

Have a place on a course with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor
Have your parent or guardian’s consent
Be able to pay for your fees and your living costs

Contact our Immigration Lawyers in Sheffield

Wilford Smith’s experienced Immigration Solicitors are based in Sheffield and advise clients throughout England and Wales. Find out more information on our fees here. Our expert Immigration Lawyers, with many years of experience assisting people with a wide range of immigration objectives, can provide all the support and guidance needed to ensure that any individuals travelling to the UK have satisfied all legal requirements to permit them to live and study in this country. Contact us today on 0808 168 5813 to find out how we can help.